Whether its breakfast, lunch, or dinner, no Indian meal is ever complete without the hot and spicy pickle or ‘achaar’ as a side accompaniment. And when it is achaar, it better be a tasty blast. And what could be spicier than our beautiful, mighty red chilies? Whole red chilies stuffed with an array of spices and soaked in mustard oil is a treat in itself that goes well with anything and everything.
Sharing with you this easy recipe of India’s favorite red chili pickle.
- 500 gms Red Chillies
- 6tbsp Mustard Oil
- 3 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 6 tsp Fennel Seeds (saunf)
- 3 tsp Dry Mango Powder (amchur)
- 6 tsp Red Mustard seeds(raai)
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- 4 tsp Salt
- Wash the chilies and pat them dry. Keep them in Sun for a day.
- Slit them lengthwise from one side to make an opening for stuffing.
- Using a dry grinder, coarsely grind red mustard seeds along with fennel seeds.
- Put this ground mix in a bowl and add salt, turmeric, dry mango powder, and asafetida to it.
- Add 3 tbsp mustard oil and mix properly to make consistent stuff mix.
- Stuff the chilies with this mixture and press firmly.
- Take a clean and dry, glass airtight container and put all the stuffed chilies into it. Pour the remaining oil over the chilies and close the lid tightly.
- Let the container soak under the Sun for a week, and your spicy, drool-delicious treat is ready.